I never thought that Dogs and chocolate can be compatible since I know that dogs eating chocolate experience some sort of toxic effects. However, I found out that dogs can be like humans too and they can be addicted to chocolate flavored treats. My kids crave for chocolate all the time and they got that habit from me. However, I never expected my dog will feel the same way too. So, I searched the net and want to share with you what I found.
What Happens if a Dog Eats Chocolate?
Have you ever experienced eating chocolate and shared such treat to your dog? What happened afterwards? I’m sure this lead you to a trip to the veterinarian or kept you awake the entire night, trying to look after a sick dog and cleaning its mess at the same time. The chocolate that we often buy from the store are toxic to our dogs. This is because it has some contents that can cause allergic reactions to them. Among these elements are as follows:
This is a bitter substance derived from a cacao plant. But this can also be found in tea plant, nut and kola. It is interesting to note that dark chocolate has higher Theobromine content than its white counterpart. However, this is poisonous to dogs when taken to as much as 100-150mg/kg. Though milk chocolate contains less quantity of this substance, this causes diarrhea among dogs as well.
There is no antidote for caffeine toxicity. Hence, dogs must stay away from it. When it reached 150 grams in a dog’s body, this becomes lethal. It acts on the dog’s cellular activity by slowing it down. As a result, major organs will be affected especially the heart. Their body will respond by releasing adrenaline to correct the problem but this will just result to increased heart rate and cardiovascular attack.
Aside from caffeine and Theobromine, 2 other components of chocolate affect the dog’s health. Among these are Fromadine and Phenylethylamine.
Some dog owners may be unaware that chocolates are bad for their pet’s health. Before they know it, their precious canines are already experiencing unfavorable responses. After ingesting the chocolate for 4-24 hours, this affects the dog’s system. Your dog may experience myriads of symptoms such as palpitation, hyper-excitability, increased urination than normal, diarrhea, vomiting and tremors or seizures.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats Chocolate?
As mentioned before, chocolate poisoning has no antidote. Hence, the best thing that you can do is to let your dog get rid of these toxic substances through vomiting. Giving activated charcoal may also help. However, if you notice that it is in a serious condition, better take it to the vet instead.
Dog Food with Chocolate Flavor
Fortunately, there are still chocolate flavor dog food available in the market. There’s another source of chocolate aside from Cacao plant. It is a flowering green shrub known as “Carob”. This belongs to a legume family that has a natural sweet flavor. Aside from that, it is also packed with nourishment that your dog needs. Among these are protein, iron, magnesium, calcium, manganese, potassium, Vitamin D, Vitamin A, Vitamin B, B1, B2,B3 and B6.Not only that but it has abundant fiber and pectin which helps eliminate the body’s toxin. Since it has a natural sweet taste, only little sugar is needed when this will be used as the main ingredient for chocolate. It has medicinal effects as well, touted as a good remedy for diarrhea, anemia, flu, cough and osteoporosis. It is easily digestible and lowers your cholesterol level. Most importantly, it does not contain caffeine, theobromine, fromadine and phenylethylamine. Hence, this is very safe to be used for your dog’s consumption. Finally, my dog can have the chocolate treats that it has been craving for!